1. With a Surbo, there will be more torque. This means the accelerator won't need to be pressed as much as before, so fuel input is less, and less harmful carbon deposits can accumulate in the engine.
2. For petrol engines: the engine can run on lower (=softer) compression (a smaller throttle opening results in a lower absolute manifold pressure, as shown on any boost or vacuum meter). For example, the Surbo sends the engine to its rpm red line with just half throttle instead of full throttle, meaning the same engine speed is achieved with lower absolute compression, so the compression forces in the cylinders are less and they will last longer. At high rpm, the Surbo helps the engine avoid knocking, as shown in the graph below.
Compression graph of a conventional petrol engine versus one with Surbo
For diesel engines, which have no throttle and which thrive on higher compression for better ignition, the Surbo helps deliver higher net compression, and at just half accelerator pressure required to achieve the rpm limit, the diesel injected is also half, so combustion heat is lowered. For modern diesel vehicles with particulate filters, the filters will not clog up so soon, since less fuel injected means less soot produced.
3. With less fuel being put in due to a smaller throttle opening, engine knock tendency is reduced, and tolerance of lower octanes is increased.
4. Gearbox controls in Surbo-equipped automatic vehicles will be preserved, since Surbo activation and gearchanges can be effected via throttle control only, without needing to shift the gear lever to L or sport, for a lower gear.
5. A higher gear/ lower rpm can be used for the same speed, leading to less cylinder wear and tear.
6. There may be sufficient power and less of a need to look for other mods that can have damaging side effects on the engine or its peripherals. Examples are:
a. high-flow air filters with wire mesh which can allow fine dust into the air intake and clog the airflow meter sensor and cause irregularities or even an expensive replacement for the afm sensor. Many times the side seals are poor-fitting. This is because it is difficult to imitate original filter elements, which are firm in structure especially at the sides, whereas imitation or even "sport" or "free flow" filters cannot achieve the same rigidity and can bend and collapse after some time, under the filter lid pressure (and then loss of filter power occurs, and dirt also gets into the engine). The surbo, which promotes extra-high air flow, denecessitates these so prolonging the life of the afm sensor.
b. high-voltage spark systems and amplifiers, which have a short life and can cause burning. The engine with the surbo burns the air-fuel mixture cleanly and there is no need for these.
c. air pass devices that are fitted directly fitted to the manifold or even to the brake line in an attempt to bypass the throttle for more air at a low rpm. These are unsafe because they open up the vacuum in the manifold and cause the vacuum-powered brakes to be less sensitive, and excessive pumping can damage the brake master pump. The Surbo is safer with a tight vacuum connection, and provides more power than these devices anyway.
Also, our airtight installation of the Surbo means that vacuum leaks will be eliminated, meaning no dirt can get into the engine, so avoiding wear and tear in the cylinder due to friction from grime. We rectify vacuum leaks due to normal wear and tear, or careless servicing by mechanics, or after air vacuum tube or air filter pipe modifications by third parties.
Furthermore, the higher torque with the Surbo means that clutching time will be cut down, whether your vehicle is manual or automatic, so reducing clutch wear. In all, the Surbo makes it easier for your engine so chances are that it will have a longer life.
How Surbo helps turbocharged engines last longer
Analysis of Surbo system shows how engine stress is redistributed and lessened when a Surbo is used.
How Surbo helps reduce engine knocking
10% fuel saving with mixed driving and more on highways
Faster acceleration, especially from standstill for automatic cars
Higher top speed, which means easier cruising
Higher RPM capability, rev limit possible with just 1/2 throttle!
Instant automatic gear kickdown
Safer, more confident overtaking
Better hill climbing power
Less diesel smoke, even with more speed
Reduced CO2 emissions from vehicles
Money saved, more than from fuel savings
Transferability. Use your Surbo on your next car
Lifetime warranty on both the Surbo and installation
How Surbo works
What is Surbo?
The Twin Surbo, 2 Surbos in series for even more low rpm torque
Surbo versus other engine accessories and parts
When the Surbo is most useful
Dynamometer Test Results
How Surbo increases engine compression at low rpm and prevents excessive compression at high rpm
How Surbo increases engine efficiency
How Surbo prevents harmful engine knocking
How Surbo may help your engine so it can last longer
FAQ: Frequently asked questions
How Surbo works for diesel engines
How Surbo's increased air density enhances diesel technology, and raises peak RPM
Diagram: Surbo's effect on the whole vehicle
Diagram: Surbo on petrol turbocharged engines
Diagram: Surbo on diesel engines
Diagram: Surbo on turbo diesel engines
Some vehicles recommended for Surbo
Automatic cars fitted with Surbo
Manual cars fitted with Surbo
Surbo5 for larger engines
Petrol turbo cars fitted with Surbo
Petrol CVT cars fitted with Surbo
Petrol hybrid cars fitted with Surbo
Petrol supercharged cars fitted with Surbo
Natural gas car fitted with Surbo
Diesel and turbodiesel vehicles fitted with Surbo
Motorcycles fitted with Surbo
Photos of Surbos installed in various cars
Why choose Surbo?
Surbo will pass vehicle inspections due to lower emissions
30 day money back guarantee
What happens during the Surbo installation
List of Surbo dealers by country
Buy Surbo online with installation guide, if there's no dealer near you
Join us as dealer for your area
Surbo on racing gokart
Surbo on Honda Civic (runner up in Singapore race)
Surbo wins India race
History of the Surbo company
How the Surbo came to be
Aftersales service and advice, on accessories or compatible vehicles
User guide for Surbo
Automotive engineering and other applications of Surbo